Thread: Am I wrong??
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2013, 09:19 AM   #94
Gaerek

Quote:
My above comment notwithstanding, there is a time and place to enter the fray, and each situation needs to be assessed on it's merits or lack thereof. In an active shooter situation or confrontation between two unknown parties I would probably not take action unless the players were clearly identified to me. There is right and wrong, and there is stupidity.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with this. The point is that we don't know what the situation will entail ahead of time. We have people saying, "Oh yeah, if shots are fired, I'm heading in that direction to stop the shooting!" But that's not always going to be the best, or even the decision that saves the most lives. One only needs to look at the confusion following the Gabby Giffords shooting to see what I mean. The one guy with a CCW who went towards the directions of the shots almost shot a bystander (who happened to be holding the shooters gun). It's easy for us to say, "Well, he shouldn't have been holding the gun!!" and I'd agree with that. But that's not the point. The point is that we don't know who's a good guy or a bad guy unless we were there to see initially what happened.

Besides, there's a ton of things that can be done in these situations that don't require using your gun that can save lives. Unfortunately, we as shooters tend to look at all of these kind of situations in the context of "how can I use my gun to fix this problem" sort of like the hammer, to whom every problem looks like a nail. In one of Pax's posts, she gave a good list of things that can be done that will save lives, and don't require the gun. All of which are honorable, heroic, but don't require you to run towards the gunfire.

Page generated in 0.02531 seconds with 8 queries