View Single Post
Old December 4, 2001, 10:17 PM   #17

Here is the result of my calling last week. I hope this works, I never tried to attach a picture before.
On the subject of guns. What you take depends on a couple different things. Are you hunting for pelts or not ? Obviously if you are, you need something that is going to humanely stop the animal without causing much hide damage. This is where your high velocity, centerfire .22s with non expanding bullets come into play. If you arn't, the sky is the limit but I wouldn't use anything that is on wheels. Secondly, how far are you going to be shooting ? This is largely determined by the terrain you are calling in and how far you can see. Obviously if you are hunting in thick cover, you are not going to be able to see very far and when you do see one, the action is going to be fast. Therefore a scoped rifle is more of a hinderence here than a help. A short rifle like my buddies CAR15, pistols, shotguns etc. are what is practical here. Open sights or optical sights (red dots) work best. If you are calling in the open desert or in farmers fields a scoped rifle would be the way to go. I am sure that when we are hunting in the thick stuff, a large number of coyotes circle us and catch our scent, and we don't even know it. In more open terrain, you would still see the dog before it spooks. Lastly you gun choice depends on how sporting you want to be. Some people just want to get a yote and sport isn't an issue. For me, shooting one with a shotgun is not interesting or fun. I know I can do it, so I don't see the point. That is why I use handguns most of the time. That is also why I call most of the time. It is no trick to drive around at night and spot coyotes with spotlights then shoot them with scoped rifles. I do this on occasion, but to me it is called shooting, not hunting. In addition to pistols I have a Ruger PC9 carbine with a red dot sight that I use. I also have .223 and .22-250 rifles I use for the longer range stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobcat.jpg (58.4 KB, 105 views)
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Page generated in 0.03165 seconds with 9 queries