View Single Post
Old January 6, 2013, 01:31 AM   #1
jrpitdog

PLEASE HELP!! settle debate

So I am asking for you all to help settle a debate between a good friend of mine and me. I reloaded about 50 rounds of .45 acp. My friend has a Springfield Ultra Compact 1911, 3 1/2 I think. I have a standard size XD 45ACP. We went shooting the other day at an outdoor range. I was having some feeding issues with the reloads I figure do to bullet shape, so I had my buddy try the reloads to see how they worked in the 1911, they were even worse in his gun (not surprised). Anyways on to my point and question. When we were cleaning up and getting ready to leave we walked through the range to pick up trash and my friend Ryan found a bullet on the ground about 8 feet in front of where he was shooting and it was obviously one of the reload bullets. The bullet had very little damage, in fact it ALMOST looked new except rifling. He immediately said that this bullet just basically dropped out of his barrel, I wasnt so quick to determine that. I am aware that squibs are not that uncommon especially with reloads, but on closer inspection of the bullet I found some ding and dents, not very big or serious but some none the less, too much to be from the manufacturer. So I say somehow it ricocheted back without much damage to show for it. I will give you the other circumstances, first it was below freezing outside the ground was frozen and most of it was covered with a thin layer of packed snow. The range does have a dirt backstop but its more designed for rifles, its far away, so our bullets for sure were hitting the ground before the backstop. In fact, along with shooting at upright targets we were also shooting at targets on the ground. The grounds in the range are covered in trash and debris (its a public no pay range) and also small lava cinder rocks. Oh and I left a link of the bullets I used, they are hollow point but still FMJ, not your typical soft nose. I dont have the actual bullet, Ryan does, I will get if from him and take a picture. So what do you all think, I and Ryan both agree that ricochets can come back to the shooter, but he cannot see it happening without serious damage to the bullet. I say given the circumstances of hard bullet, hard ground, debris, and unexplained dings and dents on bullet I say it did. Sorry so long I wanted to fully explain and give as many variables as I could explain. http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14..._200gr_HP.aspx

Last edited by jrpitdog; January 6, 2013 at 01:59 PM.

Page generated in 0.03048 seconds with 8 queries