View Single Post
Old October 17, 2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

do you remember that Ferocerium flintlock thread a while back ???

I finally got around to shooting it this last weekend ( I'm not much of a muzzleloader guy, but one of my buddys came over to sight in his muzzle loader for hunting ) so I shot my new Knight rolling block muzzleloader, & my little flintlock... I was thinking the lil gun was 36 caliber, but it is a 32 caliber... the ferocerium on the frizzen, & a piece of steel in place of the flint, seems to spark good... bear in mind, that I'm not much of a muzzleloader guy, & have never shot a flintlock before...I loaded 40 grains of Goex FFg... the patches I had were kinda thick for the Hornady balls I had, & cut for 45 caliber balls... I filled the pan with FFFg & set at my bench, & shot to my 25 yard target... "shhhhbang" & I found a hole in my target reasonably close to the bullseye... I did the same with the 2nd shot, & the patch & ball were a bit sticky going in, & this time I actually aimed ( I was actually suprised the gun fired on the 1st shot ) I don't have any moosemilk or bore butter, so I soaked the rest of the patches with dry silicone from my range bag... no cleaning, & everything the same, the next shot I'm still just holding it, sitting at the bench ( no sand bags ), & the 3rd shot gave me about a 2" group in 3 shots at 25 yards... nothing to brag about... well I continued using the dry silicone with everything else the same... hmmm... where did the 4th shot go ??? a short walk revieled that the 3rd & 4th were nearly on top of each other... the 5th followed the same giving me the final 3 shots I could cover with a nickel...

OK... now that I know it works... what should I have done ??? 40 grains too much powder ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 17, 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Page generated in 0.03343 seconds with 8 queries