View Single Post
Old February 17, 1999, 12:13 PM   #40
Kurt

Rob,

As a "civilian", I enjoyed reading your scenarios and learned a lot. It give a flavor for what goes on out there.

At the same time, it helps confirm my growing belief that lights on guns are simply a bad idea.

I really was ambivalent about this at the start. Like you, I'd seen an ad for a tactical light, thought "that would be a cool project for my new carbine" and then watched a video featuring the use of the light.

I am a real "gadget hound" but after watching the video it occured to me that a weapon mounted light is a gadget that overturns our are most basic rule of safe gun handling.

Weapon lights are very appealing as a weekend project. They are cheap and easy to install. It would be a pitiful shame if someone was injured because we are all inveterate "gadget hounds"!!!

Raymond, your remarks on using a flashlight are excellent and they really got me thinking. It seems that even in the "entry" and "tactical" settings described -- Weapon Lights may be a very mixed blessing.

BTW, I especially loved your observation "...you wouldn't throw your shotgun into a room..." No, probably not. That was great!

Maybe there are exceptions, but my conclusion is that Weapon Mounted Lights are more of a liability than an asset.

I didn't feel this way at the start, so this thread has been very informative. Thanks to everyone for their help and input!

Good Shooting,

Kurt

Page generated in 0.03558 seconds with 8 queries