View Single Post
Old October 4, 2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Madcap_Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeal
Is the Ruger SP101 .327 Fed Mag considered a good concealed carry self-defense weapon?
Yes.

Quote:
And if so how does it compare to any 9mm since we are talking small caliber here.
Slightly inferior in expansion, slightly superior in penetration. .4" expansion would be a norm, I think, for .327 Federal Magnum premium loads. 9mm will usually hit .5" or so. .327 Magnum will easily penetrate 14-15" in the 4LD FBI test, 9mm loads will do more like 12-13".

Quote:
Does the .327 Federal Magnum have any knock down power?
No. No small arms caliber has the ability to knock a standing man down from the impact force. But in all likelihood, most anyone shot with a .327 Magnum will be thoroughly dissuaded from doing whatever made you shoot him, and this may include falling down.

Quote:
Is the Ruger SP101 .327 Fed Mag the future of Concealed Carry Self-Defense?
Not even Ruger is putting out propaganda like that. The .327 is still something of a cult cartridge, but among revolver aficionados, it gets respect for putting six reasonably powerful rounds into a gun the size of a J-frame. The general consensus is that recoil is not that much lighter than a .357 magnum. And it's still a revolver, and while I have nothing against revolvers and carry a Ruger revolver on occasion, I think it would be hard to argue that any revolver represents the "future of Concealed Carry Self Defense."

Page generated in 0.03335 seconds with 8 queries