View Single Post
Old July 21, 2014, 06:43 AM   #8
Picher

As far as case prep, it varies a bit when using military brass, which is relatively new to me. I haven't bought any special decapper, but use a Rem 742 firing pin and brass hammer to deprime. It's strong and tends to act as a uniformer to some extent. After decapping, quick tap on the pin end with the hammer dislodges it from the hole.

After depriming, primer pocket staking is removed by chucking a deburring tool in the drill press with the support low enough to allow easy case entry/removal and the case is held by hand to ream the staking. Then, I exchange ends to deburr the case mouth enough to allow easy bullet seating.

Commercial cases that have produced excellent accuracy are Federal, Winchester and Remington. Some of my best groups were with Federal cases.

Next, cases are full-length sized, using a Bonanza .223 Benchrest FL Sizing die, adjusted to allow easy chambering in my rifle. I use RCBS spray sizing lube laying cases flat in a plastic tub, so the lube doesn't get inside case necks much. After sizing, I wipe the excess lube off and clean necks with a heavy-duty paper towel. If cases are especially dirty, I'll wipe the grime off using 000 steel wool, but I don't tumble-clean rifle cases.

Bullet seating in the Remington 700 Light Varmint, using a Redding Competition seater results in COAL of 2.230" with Hornady 50 grain SPs and 2.303" using Sierra 50 grain Blitz (plastic-tipped) bullets. (NOTE: These settings work for my rifle, but chamber dimensions vary, so you're on your own. The COAL just happens to be as-shown in my Lyman 49th Reloading Handbook cartridge drawing.)

Accuracy load is 23.0 grains of A2230, using standard Federal or CCI primers. The rifle likes 50-55 grain bullets much better than the 60 grain Partitions I tried recently (0.9") Three shot groups with the Remmie LV are now averaging just under 0.4" at 100 yards; the best group, so far at 0.20", which is my best CF group ever.

I hope this information is useful to some of you, but accurate loads are based on an individual rifle basis, so don't blame me if they don't work as well in your rifle. Just understand that I've been benchrest shooting for a long time, so if you're not experienced, you may not be able to achieve the same grouping ability. However, I'm NOT a Centerfire Benchrest competition shooter at this point, so don't have sophisticated BR loading equipment or use extreme accuracy loading methods.

Page generated in 0.03948 seconds with 8 queries