View Single Post
Old September 25, 2012, 06:02 PM   #66
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRH78
...An example would be comparing the 5.7x28 to a 40. The 5.7 has a lot more velocity but less energy. Right or wrong,...
Right, but not by much. The .40 S&W has only a very little more energy, and in some loadings, it has less.
  • According to this source, 5.7x28 --

1. 32 gr FMJ -- 397 ft-lb

2. 40 gr JHP -- 340 ft-lb

• According to published specifications for Federal Ammunition, .40 S&W --

1. 165 gr Hydra-Shok -- 352 ft-lb

2. 180 gr Hydra-Shok -- 400 ft-lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRH78
...I am going to make up numbers here just to illustrate my point.

Lets say we have 2 cartridges. 1 has 500 ftlbs and uses 400 of those effectively to create damage. 2 has 800 ftlbs and uses 500 of those effectively to create damage. Assuming that damage is done to equivalent areas of the target, cartridges 2 is less efficient but more effective.
But since it this is made up, it really doesn't mean anything. And how do you come up with this sort of notion? Do you have any evidence to support this conjecture? Can you cite any authority to support it. As the experts I quoted in post 52 point out, the energy doesn't create the damage.

Your fundamental premise is fallacious.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03689 seconds with 8 queries