View Single Post
Old August 6, 2001, 01:48 AM   #127
Rainbow Six

The words "weapons" and "tactics" smack of military or LE slang. I think that something more (God, I hate this term!!) "politically correct" would attract more fence sitters to the magazine as opposed to the S.W.A.T. title, or anything with "weapons", "tactics", "tactical", etc.

As evidenced by the fact that a title change is being considered, even some of us died in the wool gun nuts don't like titles such as S.W.A.T, or others that bring to mind certain things(JBTs/COPS). Some won't subscribe/buy because of that. How can we expect someone that is unsure about where they stand regarding our rights and our hobby to pick up and read a magazine that might influence their decisions if it comes across as being "tactical" or about those possibly evil "weapons". Firearms CANNOT be referred to as weapons when dealing with anti's and fence sitters. They are tools used for self defense or sport.

Imagine yourself trying to convert an anti or fence sitter and convince them that they SHOULD own firearms for self defense and that they should learn to use these tools. You have just had an intelligent conversation with them and convinced them to look into this concept. They are thinking, "Hmmm, maybe he's not a para-military skinhead type that trains in his backyard to be a killer...", so they ask where they can find out more? You say...

Option#1- Well, there's this magazine called "Weapons & Tactics" that has great articles about... (what they will hear after this is probably along the lines of blah blah blah...blah blah, blah blah blah because instead of listening, they're thinking, "Weapons?" "Tactics?" "Guess I was wrong. He is a nut!".)

Option#2- Well, there's this magazine called "Armed & Responsible" and it has great articles about the tools and skills that are used by responsible people who exercise their right to defend themselves.

Using option two, you got their attention by using the word "Armed" without using words like "tactics", "tactical", etc and then you take them by surprise, lower their guard and hold their attention when you include the word "Responsible". Now there's a word that they might not normally associate with gun magazines or gun rights activists. You have their undivided attention because you are speaking their language!

While I hate political correctness as much as anybody here, it is time we used ALL of the available avenues to try and convince as many people as we can that our rights are worth fighting for. That is the reason I chose to suggest the title "Armed & Responsible". I'm not saying that my suggestion is the only valid choice. I am saying that if Rich & Co. go to the trouble of changing the title of the mag to suit personal tastes, why not go a step further and use the change to further our cause, if possible?

A magazine thet might appeal to a wider crowd would be an EXCELLENT means of spreading information that is vital to our success. Make sense at all?

Before anyone says TFL is not offensive like "tactics", etc I'd like to ask you this. Is it as effective as it possibly could be in attracting different types of people to the magazine? Think about it...

R6

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Rainbow Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03200 seconds with 8 queries