View Single Post
Old September 13, 2008, 03:57 AM   #1
GLP Standard

Are there any SWAT team members on here?

Like the title says. If so, I have a few questions.

First off, I wanted to start off by saying that working for a Police Department or Sheriffs Office is something ive wanted to do since I was 11 years old (Im 23 now) more specifically for a SWAT team (or equivelant). Dont ask me what it is. Its just what I want to do.

Now for my questions:
1. I know it varies from department to department, or city to city, but in general, what is involved in getting on with a departments SWAT team? (Lets start from the obvious step of "get hired on with your local PD or SO") Lets say youre hired on, out on the streets, and you just finished your 1 year probation, how would one go about getting on with the SWAT team? How does their selection/training, etc work? Do you apply for it? Do you have to be promoted/recommended for it? Is there a certain number of years you have to put in?

2. Does every PD or SO have some form of a SWAT team, or are some (probably smaller towns I'm guessing) Police Departments without such a thing? The reason I ask, is because I live in a fairly small town. Okay, its not that small, its actually pretty spread out, and is supposed to be as big as Phoenix in 20 years. I never knew it, but I just found out a few weeks ago that my local PD has a SWAT team. I never would have guessed that a smaller town would have something like that.

3. How exactly does your every day 40 hour work week go? I know it has to be much more different than the movies and the media make it out to be. Im sure its not really like the movie SWAT. Do you go out on patrol like a regular uniform would, and work the streets until a call comes in where SWAT is needed? Also, on your days off, are you required to be on call 24/7? Basically, how does it work in your department? Just wondering this, because I want to get the facts from someone who actually does this for a living, instead of watching movies and tv shows where SWAT teams are inaccurately portrayed.

4. In your opinion, what does it mean to you to be part of a SWAT team? Is it worth it? Tell me your feelings on the topic. Anything you want to say...

Some of these questions may sound stupid, but I really want an honest answer to them.

Page generated in 0.02910 seconds with 8 queries