View Single Post
Old January 17, 2013, 07:44 PM   #14
Frank Ettin
Staff

The laws of defamation are complex, and it is extremely difficult to win a defamation suit against news media. A lawsuit like this isn't going to go anywhere.

Fully addressing the issue would require something like a law review article, and I have no intention of doing that much work. So I'll leave it at this --
  1. Anyone who wants to pursue this sort of litigation, and who can get standing of course, is welcome to try.

2. I seriously doubt that any lawyer would be interested in taking the case on a contingency fee basis, so you'll need to break open your piggy bank. You'll be on the hook for the legal fees, and a civil case of this nature is likely to cost $150,000 to $250,000 in legal fees (including a bunch of money for expert witnesses) just through a jury trial. You will not recover your legal expenses.

3. The courts are open for business. So go to it. Good luck. Have fun. Let us know how it turns out.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03474 seconds with 8 queries