View Single Post
Old May 18, 2009, 02:46 PM   #15
CaptainCrossman

more- interesting thread:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c=17343.0;wap2

quote:
"Other opinions will vary... but here is my 2 cents
The Cabela's offering will in most cases be Pietta made... not a bad thing, and for the price you get Cabela's reputation for returns or replacement should there be a issue...
Pietta's tend to be stamped conspicuosly, with disclaimers " BLACK POWSER ONLY ", Proof Marks , and the Fili Petta logo.
This for me distracts from the looks, much like Ruger's Lawyer pleasing stampings.
Taylor's and Cimarron will have the Uberti's.... Uberti has been my choice for Guns I use in the Film Prop Business.
And I've used both importers...
I find the Uberti's closer to the originals , and the new CNC forged frames appeal to my idea of greater strength & closer tolerances.
I like the Uberti's use of discrete placement of proof marks.
The main difference between Taylor's and Cimirron will be the Importer's Marks. Both use small lettered stamps
Cirmarron tends to place the Fredricksburg TX. mark where the one line Colt Address would be , & Taylor's will have Winchester VA."

"One problem I forsee with the Pietta '58 I have now, is that the frame is pretty durn soft. I had it so that the hammer stopped on the frame just a hair short of the nipples. It worked fine, but even after a few shots, I found that the hammer had battered its way down and had begun to touch the nipples. Well, I went to work again, and filed the shoulders on the frame where the hammer stops so that I would get a better strike on more surface than before. Originally, it was just hitting on the top corner of the hammer and frame. Now I have decent contact on the hammer shoulders about 2/3rds of the way down. Pretty much all I can do (that and reworking the hammer again and case hardening it). I have snapped it many times (not fired yet) since this latest modification, and I can see that even with better contact, I will likely have the same problem, only it will show up more slowly. The frame steel is just not up to taking the impact.
I have read reports that Uberti uses better/harder/tougher steel for their guns. If so, that alone will prompt me to make my next purchase an Uberti."

Page generated in 0.03169 seconds with 8 queries