View Single Post
Old October 28, 2005, 07:02 AM   #11
Long Path

About 9 or 10 years ago I got a bad case of the "Gotta Haves" for the Remington Sendero rifle. The point of the rifle is that it is a long-range hunting rifle for terrain where the shots are typically longer. The land that I hunted at that time was covered with a lot of brush, and "senderos" (long paths) had been pushed through the brush with D7 Cats. Shots on deer might appear down the senderos at 20 yards or 500 yards. Flat-shooting cartridges really helped with shots of such a wide variety. For me, the only option that I seriously considered in the Sendero for such hunting was the .300 Win Mag, not because N. TX whitetail deer are so hard to kill, but because it could launch a 165g or 180 bullet on such a stable long-range trajectory and not suffer much from wind or drop. (And no, I really never planned on taking a 500 yard shot, unless I had perfect range known and no wind and a perfect rest. I never did.)

Some guys want a laser.

Funny thing is, these days, I hunt a lot more with an iron-sighted .35 Whelen or an old .243.

BTW, I updated the title of this thread to make it less ambiguous than simply "Why????"

Page generated in 0.03477 seconds with 8 queries