View Single Post
Old May 26, 2014, 10:34 AM   #9
shortwave

Funny how over the years, we have let 'slick' marketing con us into thinking we need much more horse power to kill an animal then we really need.

While I may own and have hunted with a 357mag, 41mag, 45lc, 44sp., 44mag. or a 475/480 linebaugh , rest assured a 357mag with the right load will kill just as dead as the others with proper shot placement( which is true of any cal.) and should never be looked down upon for using.

Far as that goes, for deer hunting, a well placed .22 will kill a thin skinned deer with proper placement.
NOTE: before all the bs feedback...not condoning using 22's for deer hunting. Just stating a fact.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but we all know it boils down to:

knowing the firearm
knowing our limitations with the firearm
choosing the right load for the job at hand

Anything else is just a bunch of internet/marketing 'hoopla'.

Quote:
Folks buy the really large calibers to be macho
Maybe some...but not all.

Some just like a variety of hunting tools. I usually make my mind up what I'm going to use a couple months before season comes in and start practicing with that firearm. Same with BP season. I like to hunt part of our , insanely short ml season with one of the caplocks then switch to an inline.

But know what you mean about getting old. Thinking of giving up the 475/480 due to Arthur in the hands and even find myself downloading the 44mag closer to the 44sp. loads more every year as well as loading the lighter 45lc loads.

Hey, it just dawned on me. Shortly, I may be viewed as one of those 'maligned' hunters using my 357...oh well...I've been called worse for less.

Last edited by shortwave; May 26, 2014 at 10:51 AM.

Page generated in 0.02304 seconds with 8 queries