View Single Post
Old September 30, 2012, 08:17 PM   #4
jgcoastie

Saw in the other thread that you're moving to Elmendorf/Anchorage area.

The saying in Alaska goes about like this: "Anchorage is 45 minutes from Alaska."

All the amenities that you're accustomed to in CA will most likely be available in Alaska's largest city.

Gun laws are awesome. Coming from CA, you'll think you've died and gone to gun Heaven... BTW, you have. No permit required for carry, open or concealed.

The "mommy and daddy approved" list does not exist in Alaska. If you can dream it up, your wallet will be the only limiting factor as far as firearms are concerned.

It's colder. A good measure of the weather; whatever the weather in Kodiak is, you'll see it in Anchorage within the next day, only it'll be just a little colder in Anchorage.

If you're expecting them to salt the roads, you're mistaken. They'll plow and gravel them, but salt is a no-no. In Alaska, fisheries reign supreme. Anything that will affect fisheries in a negative way, doesn't happen. That includes salinity levels from excess salt on the roads.

Buy a 4-wheeler and a snowplow attachment for it before you move. You'll thank me later... About a week after Thanksgiving, you'll be very thankful you're not shoveling every morning. Open the garage door, crank up the quad, plow the driveway in 2 or 3 minutes, return quad to garage, get in the truck and go to work.

Get a 4wd vehicle if you do not have one. At minimum, get a vehicle that is front wheel drive. Rear wheel drive only is not something you want to tackle your first Alaskan winter with.

Buy a new set of tires for your vehicle and get snow studs put on before you move. Studded tires can get expensive in the fall season. Supply/demand, etc...

Clothing
- Layers layers layers. Cotton kills. Never wear cotton in the winter, especially when you're going out into the woods.
- Under armor cold gear.
- Carhartt arctic jackets and bibs.
- Extra-tuff boots.
- Red head "lifetime" smartwool socks.
- Wool or fleece pullovers
- Manzella fleece gloves

If you have any questions about anything, let me know. Either on this thread or via PM. I'll do what I can to help you.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Page generated in 0.03698 seconds with 8 queries