View Single Post
Old August 17, 2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Dave1911

4" vs 6" Medium Frame Revolver

First post to what looks like a great forum.

Today I went out and put my hands on some 686s and GP100s in 3", 4", and 6" varieties. I actually felt the 6" was more balanced and more like the 1911 I am used to compared to the 3" or 4" models which to me felt "back" heavy. In reading thru the forums I see people touting the 6" as barrel heavy but not the opposite "back heavy" feelings on the 3" or 4". Having not fired the guns, am I missing something that after 100 rounds thru I will then realize. My primary intent is for plinking and target shooting which is becoming more of an obsession as of late. And I have other options for conceal carry.

Another question as one learning about revolvers but one who is pretty experienced with Semi Autos. I was at one of four gun stores today and after I begged to look at the GP100s in 4" and 6", I was told not to dry fire the pistols. Or rather I was scolded after dry firing the pistol 3 times. I was under the impression that dry firing a modern center rim pistol is not an issue. I politely sat down the gun and said thank you for your time at which point the salesman accused me of not be willing to listen and learn from him. I said he is welcome to his perspective and I will evaluate double action triggers and spend my money else where. So to my second question, is it "bad" etiquette to dry fire a modern center fire pistol you are seriously considering buying?

Page generated in 0.01996 seconds with 8 queries