View Single Post
Old May 21, 2010, 09:08 PM   #43
animal

sorry about not being specific on the Lyman case trimmer. I don’t remember the name of it.

The one I had problems with was the little hand cranked one. Just my experience, maybe I was just unlucky?
The thing was sloppy and out of alignment right out of the box. If I remember correctly, it had a T-6 alum base attached to a steel collar which housed the shaft on one side, and on the other side a steel screw clamp to hold the case (and appropriate shell holder). The steel parts were held to the base with screws that were a bit too small and quick to loosen because of bad threading in the holes to accept them. The cutter head was dull and would roll over brass flash into the case and behind the pilot. Since the pilots were held in by a small allen set screw and had a smooth round shaft, it had a tendency to pull the pilots out of the cutter head and stick them in the case.

A brass shim fixed the alignment. The sloppiness in the shaft didn’t really matter because of the case neck pilots(or whatever they’re called) but it was still irritating. Drilling, tapping, and larger screws held it together better. A teensy bit of sharpening on the cutter, and a little creative grinding on the pilots(to make a place to accept the tip of the set screw) fixed the pilot-pulling problem.

By the time I was finished, it worked great … but was I sick of it. So, I used some of it’s parts, cranked up the lathe, and made another one.

Page generated in 0.02402 seconds with 8 queries