View Single Post
Old April 4, 2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Evan Thomas

Quote:
I keep running into this idea that we can give our students what they need without ever challenging them, without ever pushing their skills and without any risk of hurting their feelings. Everything must always be fun, fun, fun – sweetness and light and hallelujah!
I find it really depressing that that's still part of the picture among women -- and in the firearms world, of all places. That whole dynamic is an outgrowth of second-wave feminism, and it's always been one of the things I've liked least about it. "Mustn't criticize, mustn't speak ill of a sister..." :upchuck:

I've had a lot of conversations with other women in which I've pointed out how demeaning it is to treat people as if they're too weak, too sensitive to hear the truth, or even a negative opinion, about something they're doing. Part of treating people with respect -- like adults -- is to assume that they're capable of hearing constructive criticism for what it is.

Funnily enough, the other evening I was rereading Erin Solaro's thread, "Wo/Men, Handguns and Self-Defense." I can't help being struck by the parallel between the attitude you describe and one that came up early in that conversation. I wrote in that thread:
Quote:
For many feminists this translates to a belief that to engage in violence, including the use of force in self-defense, is "male-identified," and that the solution is to change the culture, not to become part of the problem by engaging in violent acts, even when justifiable as self-defense.

It's ironic that this belief on the part of feminists, of all people, reinforces the cultural (and self-) perception that, as you put it, "weakness [is] central to... womanhood."
Same deal. Women are weak... Gah.

I suppose the whole "self-esteem" craze that's done its bit to ruin education in this country feeds into that attitude, as well. Double gah.

Wish I had a solution, but......

Page generated in 0.03603 seconds with 8 queries