View Single Post
Old March 8, 2006, 09:06 AM   #18
mack59

invention_45 you asked -

Something curious. In your "limited experience", you know more than 1 person who's murdered and more than 1 who's killed in SD ?

Well, I believe my personal experience is quite limited - I have never had to resort to using a gun in self-defense. The last time I recall having to activley defend myself, over ten years ago - I did so by shutting a door in an intoxicated gentlemans face.

I have a brother who is a police officer and via him I have also talked to a few other officers and that accounts some small part of the information. The larger part of my contacts however, I have made through my work. I work as a counselor and in that capacity I have ended up working with a wide range of individuals over the last 20 years. I've worked with gang bangers (real and wannabes), convicted murderers and child molestors, (as well as non-convicted ones), criminals and noncriminals, from almost all walks of life, (college professors, police officers, judges, business owners, athletes, military veterans, drug dealers - a lot of those - as well as just your everyday white or blue collar working man. So I have heard a lot of peoples stories and pain over the years. I think I have gotten fairly good at shifting the BS from the truth for the most part. Also when working in Addictions one comes to build relationships with people who are members of the 12 step community - some have been there and done that too. A good man I knew, (he's gone now), - English and immigrated to the States after WWII, served in the British Army during WWII - saw active combat from Africa all the way through Normandy to VE day. Not many of his friends made it. To listen to his memories of his unit liberating a Nazi concentration camp was painful.

So, a lot of my associations are though my work - and for the most part I am fairly safe - I try to stay aware of the person I'm with - I also know that for the most part that by the time the individual is seeing me they either really want help or they at least want to try to play the game, because I have something they want. I would say though that there are many recovering alcoholics and addicts I would trust a heck of a lot more than your average joe on the street or even your average co-worker.

Page generated in 0.05326 seconds with 9 queries