View Single Post
Old December 26, 2011, 03:40 PM   #10
motorhead0922

30-some years ago when I started shooting, it was strictly with long guns. I had never heard of checking eye dominance, so I shot right handed, and always have. Since I used a scope early on, I closed my left eye. When I shoulder a long gun now, my left eye automatically closes, just like always.

It looks like now that I am slightly left-eye-dominant. Recently, I decided to try shooting my 22 with scope with both eyes open. Like I say, my eyes are fairly "equal". This causes what I describe as lack of contrast when looking through the scope, as the brain tries to use the info from both eyes. I seemed to shoot the same accuracy with both eyes or just the right eye.

I personally think the eye question is overdone. Unless you are way dominant with one eye, you're better off just closing the left one if you are right handed.

It might be interesting for me to try shooting a rifle left handed. I've never tried it. I do regularly shoot my handguns left handed, just-in-case. My left eye still closes automatically.

Page generated in 0.03454 seconds with 8 queries