View Single Post
Old November 19, 2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Powderman

Wow.

Let's try to keep it civil, and try to answer a few questions here--and clear up what I hope is honest misunderstanding and not bigotry.

1. Federally recognized Indian tribes are indeed sovereign nations--however, there is a unique relationship between the Tribal Government and the US Government. While we (Native Americans) recognize that we have our own Nations, we also fall under Federal law. As an example, criminal acts on the Reservation may be addressed by Tribal Code, as long as only Native Americans are involved--and as long as the crime is committed on the Reservation. Serious felony level crimes--arson, murder, rape, kidnapping as an example--are investigated by the FBI, and prosecuted in Federal Court.

2. While it is true that firearms laws are indeed diverse within the boundaries of the Reservation, in most cases the Reservations and Tribal Government adapt the laws and statutes of the surrounding jurisdictions. Here, on the Reservation on which I work (S'puyalupubsh, or better known as the Puyallup Tribe), we enforce the Revised Code of Washington.

3. No, we cannot automatically acquire, possess or use Class II or III firearms, destructive or explosive devices, suppressors, AOW, SBS or SBR. Here in the State of Washington, private ownership of full-auto, SBS or SBR is prohibited by State law. And don't be confused about fireworks--on some Reservations (including ours), if you're caught with fireworks that exceed the explosive power of an M80, you get a nice $500.00 citation. Or, you might get a visit from ATF.

4. Finally, Federal and State law DOES most assuredly apply on quite a few Reservations.

I hope that this clears some of the muddy water.

Cordially,

your friendly neighborhood Powderman
Patrol Officer
Puyallup Tribal Police
Tacoma/Pierce County, WA

PS: Answering this phrase:

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure since they're technically sovereign nations, they don't need to uphold the Constitution, though I may be wrong.
Trust me, with as many veterans of the Armed Services on the Reservation, you BET that we will "defend the Consitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

Page generated in 0.02063 seconds with 8 queries