View Single Post
Old December 1, 2012, 11:01 AM   #5
snuffy

It depends on what alloy you're using. If you have an alloy that has tin in it,(most good alloys do), then 800 degrees is too hot. The reason is; tin oxidizes at anything over 700 degrees. Running at 800, your tin is oxidizing at the top surface of the melt very rapidly. It would appear as a grey scum that could be skimmed off, or fluxed back into the alloy. Skimming it off results in loosing the tin that's needed to make for well-filled-out-boolits. Also the hardness of the boolit will decrease, be softer.

Using a 4 pound capacity melter means you have to spend time waiting for it to melt more lead, then get it up to temp. I doubt that it has any thermostat, so it's wide open to whatever temp it finally reaches.

The lee 4-20 pot is a very good entry level furnace. The thermostat is a bit flaky, it will have a temp swing of usually about 50 degrees. The knob has numbers on a scale, but they don't really mean much. Like set to seven does NOT mean 700 degrees. Therefore, you need a thermometer. Best part of the lee 4-20 is you can use the bottom pour feature, or use it as a ladle pot. I use mine both ways, depending on which of the dozens of molds I'm using.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.03190 seconds with 8 queries