View Single Post
Old April 20, 2010, 11:06 AM   #22
(BH)

I fail to understand where the danger was in this situation. I mean, some kids were gearing up for some sort of party, one had expired tags, the officer took care of it.

I'm certainly not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to understand if I'm missing something here. Why was there reason to suspect anything nefarious? Sure, there was alcohol involved, but it sounds to me like they were just grabbing some stuff at the store. If that's the case, I know it wouldn't even cross my mind to intervene. I'd go on my way without ever even thinking about touching my sidearm.

I could understand it if this was some sort of domestic or drug related issue, but some kids buying beer and having expired tags doesn't really send up any red flags for me.

One thing that I would like to add is that if you did intervene and had to use you're firearm, most likely a jury would not look kindly upon a CCer "playing cop" as many would see it. Of course, your intentions would be good, but that is some risky business. Don't get me wrong, there are situations where the officer may welcome your help, but from what I've read most officers would not want any civilians intervening. However, I'd assume that if you saved them from being murdered, I doubt they'd complain.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson

Page generated in 0.02664 seconds with 8 queries