View Single Post
Old July 28, 2014, 12:41 PM   #38
Barnacle Brad

I have a tendency to want my '06 as preference when hunting the Mule Deer, although last year I carried the 25-06 as I had done some work on it and wanted to be sure it was reliable. It was!

As far as the game rules, the .22 is allowed for both Prong Horn and Deer.

I will probably carry the 25 again this year for deer season, as it is quite a bit more accurate than my Rem 742 and I have the '06 set up for Elk with 165gr rounds sighted in.

The 25-06 is a sporterized Mauser and shoots a hundred grain bullet (Hornady Interlock SP). Long shot with it last year was out to 250yds. One shot, dropped a doe like a stone...

I have come to like a light fast bullet, rather than a larger slower bullet. It is hard to quantify energy in a bullet, but I think that a faster muzzle velocity driving the bullet is what creates the shock that kills instantly - as Wyosmith terms "cavitation".

I toyed with the 30-06 for a season or two shooting a 120, or 125gr bullet (memory fails me). It was accurate and dropped the deer and goats in their tracks. The problem was that come elk season I wanted a heavier bullet for obvious reasons. This was before I had the 25-06 in my possession. So I had to go back to the range and re-zero for the different ammo. BOO!

After I received the 22-250 and the game laws changed to allow it, I felt compelled to develop a load for hunting medium game. I have concerns that this load is not appropriate for ranges beyond 200yds. I have to doubt that it will still kill out to 300 but not instantly (or near instantly) as I come to expect. However, the evidence shows that at least out to a hundred yards - this load delivers a punch and I will use it when appropriate.

Page generated in 0.03944 seconds with 8 queries