View Single Post
Old August 4, 2012, 10:34 AM   #10
kraigwy

Quote:
My .223 is in the AR platform with a 1:7 twist rate and does not shoot 55 grain very well at all no matter what charge rates and oal's I use.
Thats odd, 55s shoot well in my 1;7 White Oak Service Rifle Upper. The army says they shoot well in their 1:7 M16 series. Its the heavy bullets in the 1:12 M16A1s that dont shoot.

In fact the army's test round for their Mann Accuracy device (to test 5.56 ammo) is 52 grn SMKs in Remington cases with 25 Grns of 3031. I tried that load in the Mann I got from the CMP and it was amazing.

Careful on published OAL. When I first tried to switch to an AR from a M1A for HP shooting I used Sierras 2.550 OAL for their 80 SMKs. Being use to a M1A I didn't carry a cleaning rod to the line. I got of the first shot, loaded for the second, caught a wind change and extracted the live round so it wouldn't warm up. The bullet stayed in the lands and I had powder all down my action. This was my second of what was suppose to be 20 shots. I couldn't get the bullet out until we moved to the 300 yard line and I could get to the truck.

I want to tell you a 9/200 isn't gonna win much. Try your OAL before you go to a match (as well as test all your ammo before you leave the house.)
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03216 seconds with 8 queries