View Single Post
Old April 1, 2014, 11:17 AM   #17
F. Guffey

Bart B. Have you you ever scribed the shoulder/case body juncture?

I remember Mr. Clark used Velcro to center a 308 W case? in a magnum chamber, he pulled the trigger and did not get a dent in the primer and I did not say anything, I got the feeling he thought I was pushing him, he did not ask me how I would conduct the same test. And, that is OK also.

And again, I ask, have you ever scribed a case at the shoulder/case body juncture before firing, I have, the scribe line was .127" behind the new shoulder/case body juncture. I know, you think I am building boobie traps, not necessary, boobies are too easy to catch.

For the folks to think about, if the firing pin drove the total weight of the bullet, case and powder to the front of the chamber causing the shoulder of the case to smack into the shoulder of the chamber the case would have expanded and then locked onto the chamber, and then! pressure inside of the case would have pushed the case head back into the bolt face.

Folks, think. had the shoulder of my case been driven forward to the shoulder of the chamber .127" the case head would have SEPERATED, because we all know the case head can not stretch .127" between the case body and case head.

Folks that are friends have had problems with case head separation when forming wildcats cases for wildcat chambers. One instance, 4 cases out of 10 had case head separation. I asked: What receiver? He informs me what receivers he used. I informed him I could have fixed the problem at his shop before he left for the range, I could have tested the rifle to determine if it could happen before he left the shop, I informed him I could have met him at the range and corrected the problem long enough for him to fire form his cases. He wanted to know why I did not have those problems, simple answer, I do not choose to use the same receivers he used or I form first then fire.

Because I am the fan of cutting down on all that case travel.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02385 seconds with 8 queries