View Single Post
Old January 7, 2013, 08:51 AM   #20
Dan Newberry

Inside look at the action/stock union...

I pulled the action out of the stock to see how light the trigger would adjust down to (couldn't resist tinkering, I guess) ... and it seems to be somewhere around 2 1/2 pounds. It really didn't go a whole lot lighter than factory, but it did back down some.

Here is the receiver/stock mating system... "V-blocks" I would call it...

Note the absence of a traditional recoil lug on the barrel/receiver union... the steel v-blocks in the stock fit into the notches in the receiver, and the action screws pull it all together really tight... seems like a good idea. No aftermarket stock possibilities, however...

Here is what was in the stock hollow...

I removed the styrofoam block (well, at least they put something in there, most gun makers just leave it hollow)... and as I often do with hollow, plastic stocks, I filled the stock with about a half pound of plumber's putty to give it a "deader", more solid feel. This has always helped with recoil... and mitigating recoil generally helps with accuracy as well. I came up with the plumber's putty idea some years ago... it stays relatively soft, and it'll come out easily. It's good for making dams when glass bedding as well.

Balance on the rifle is better with the extra stock weight as well... (though it's plenty nice right out of the box).

You can "knead" some BB's or lead shot into a blob of the plumber's putty if you're wanting more weight...

The forearm was *almost* touching the barrel at times, especially if you bore down with any weight at all on the barrel... so I took Metal god's suggestion and opened up the forearm channel just a little with some sandpaper... and the forearm is plenty stiff enough not to bend or touch the barrel... it's just that it was a mite too close in factory configuration, as MG mentioned...

We're working on a good 100 grain "all around" load for this .243... using Hornady 100 grain BTSP bullets and RL22 and also trying some Ramshot Magnum, which is showing promise.

Dan

Page generated in 0.02631 seconds with 8 queries