View Single Post
Old September 4, 2012, 01:02 PM   #16
shortwave

Quote:
In cattle country (SW/SC Nebraska is mixed pasture/row crop ag land) there are more than enough salt/mineral blocks out there for the cattle already- you adding one won't likely bring any deer to you.
Good point jimbob86

There are nine natural springs on this property. The water oozing from the ground leave minerals on the topsoil around the springs. The deer love to eat the dirt around those springs. Especially two of them. The soil has more of a white-ish/grey tint around them. The deer keep the dirt around those two stomped down. There's no grass.

Our local extension officer was out here and I asked him about the difference in color of the soil and he explained there was probably a high sulfer/salt content in those two springs. At any rate, the deer love these areas.

What I can say, when placing a salt block in areas such as these is if you can strategically place the lick in a more convenient place for the deer, I.E closer to deers bedding area, on deers route from bedding to feeding areas, then the natural salt/mineral block, the deer will use your placed block as well as the natural blocks.

Page generated in 0.03041 seconds with 8 queries