View Single Post
Old March 24, 2011, 06:00 PM   #74
jmstr

Quote:
Here in CA you don't have to prove it's a pre-ban mag. They have to prove it's not and that's not easy to do. They don't prosecute it much. At least that was what was explained to me from the Calguns forum.
That is my understanding too.

I was informed by a few LEO's I know that they basically look at the handgun and follow up if it is obvious. For example, If I have a high capacity [argh!, it is STANDARD CAPACITY! 10 is diminished capacity!] for a S&W M&P I am in violation without any question. No M&P before 2000, thus no question-I'm a felon.

However, for my Browning Hi Power they note that the guns I have are 1991 and 1993 production [if they even check] and see the design predates 2000 significantly, so probably no reason to investigate.

However, I am also 40. If I looked less than 30 years old they might start to push on any magazine, as I may have been too young to own a gun before 2000.

By the way, I bought 2 15 round magazines for my FS Baby Eagle 9 off the shelf of a gun shop in December of 1999 [for WAY too much $]. This wasn't a 'trunk deal' in an alley, but a real LGS.

The magazines were new old stock, manufactured before 1994. Manufacturers could not manufacture new magazines for sale to civilians after 1994, but I was given to understand that it was legal to buy/sell pre-ban magazines from gunshops at that time, new off the shelf. That is why I got hosed for $80 for each of my 'pre-ban' magazines, when a 10 rounder cost $20 new. Everything made between 1994 and 2004 was supposed to have some version of L.E.Agency only on it.

I could be wrong. I thought I acted legally. I just made sure to get them before the ban for the gun I was saving for.

Page generated in 0.02055 seconds with 8 queries