View Single Post
Old July 30, 2012, 08:18 PM   #24
carguychris

I take issue with the arbitrary political definition of what constitutes a so-called "high" capacity magazine, i.e. greater than 10rds.

In my opinion, the magazine a firearm was originally designed to accept is properly termed a standard-capacity magazine. For my M&P9 full-size, this is a 17rd mag. For a M1911, it's 7rds, although 8rds fit in virtually the same size mag. (Same basic concept applies to my S&W M3904, which was designed for an 8rd mag, but a 9rd M952 mag is the same size and works equally well.)

If a political jurisdiction arbitrarily decides to require a smaller mag, it is properly called a reduced-capacity mag.

If any mag can properly be called "high-capacity", it's one that's significantly larger than a standard-capacity mag, and projects much farther than normal from the gun. This applies to mags such as the DWM Luger "Trommelmagazin" drum mag, the G18 33rd mag, and various AR/AK drum mags. However, just because these mags are supposedly "high-capacity" does not necessarily justify restricting ownership of them.

Page generated in 0.02253 seconds with 8 queries