View Single Post
Old July 31, 2006, 11:50 AM   #31
stephen426

Quote:
Hey Stephen, you're right, the Akita was bred to hunt bears and bay them up originally, but I think that American breeders have probably lost a lot of the edge off of those key instincts, by not breeding for working ability. One of my 'girls' is a 91 lb Akita, and yes she's got a pretty good prey drive, but I don't think that she's nearly fast and nimble enough to avoid injury, or even mean & determined enough if she had to fight. But yours may be of entirely different breeding, and much more athletic & tenacious.
Akitas are a very strange breed. I think my dog much have some cat in her. When she sees another dog off in the distance, she will drop to the ground and slink towards them like a lion stalking prey. I've also seen her pounce (with all fours) on various things such as lizards, bugs, and an opposum. As for speed, my girl can really run, but not for long distances since the Florida heat is pretty grueling and her with that heavy coat. As for being ferocious, her father (my parents have my dog's parents) is pretty darn agressive and has torn up a few dogs. She has a sweeter disposition but I wouldn't want to tangle with her. Regardless, there is no way I would risk her getting torn up by a hog so I'm most probably going to go with a guided tour. Besides, they are well trained and we will greatly improve our odds of bagging something.

Page generated in 0.03871 seconds with 8 queries