View Single Post
Old April 5, 2009, 11:59 PM   #52
gmatov

Pohill,

Been a while since I spoke with you. Back in those days, I think you complained that you could NOT get the wedge out. People were telling you things like "take a brass drift and a middle sized hammer and bang on it. It'll come out".That is surely an example of HAMMERING the wedge in, and you should NOT do that.

You WILL peen metal when you do that.

When arguments arise about just how powerful pistols are or were with central arbor or top strap, you gotta remember that the Walker was considered by today's experts to be about equivalent to a .357, or even more potent than such.

I don't think that any of the original Walkers, with poor iron cylinders, broke the gun other than the cylinders bursting.. Even with chainfires, probably common when loading in the heat of battle, wouldn't destroy the gun. Those balls go outside the barrel's constriction. Flash and balls pop out where they shouldn't. Make you **** your pants, maybe.

With the steels available 160 years ago, it's a wonder that we "Won the West".

Made with today's "maraging" steels, arbors, frames and all. I would bet they could handle any round you could design them for. Design is the magic word. Cost of the steel alloys is another.

Hell, why should it matter? A Sig Sauer .380 is about 775 bucks. Glocks are 600 neighborhood. More injection molded plastic than machined metal.

I plan to take a rimfire to the range with me in the AM. Most will be BP, including the Walker I just bought. Have a 44 S&W Mag. in the case, too, for the hell of it.

Cheers,

George

Page generated in 0.02598 seconds with 8 queries