View Single Post
Old April 3, 2008, 10:45 AM   #9
BigJon

ELMOUSMC - Awhile back, I had a Ruger 22 bolt gun converted from Hornet to K-Hornet. The Ruger wasn't too accurate before, but now it is much better. As a part of the rechambering (memory suggest that he just whacked a thread or so off the back of the barrel and then rechambered it), the sloppy two-piece bolt problem was dealt with too.

They key to making brass last with these little guns is not to try to make .223s out of 'em. Load them to be .22 Hornets/K-Hornets, and brass will last a long, long time. In fact, I picked up a little Lee handloader press just for this rifle so I can re-do ammo right at the range.

Bottom line is that this conversion did a world of good for me, since the rifle was not very accurate before the conversion. It also still shoots .22 Hornet ammo fine, and that's how I get my fire-formed cases. So, I'd do it again WITH THIS RIFLE. Since yours is accurate as is, though, I wouldn't do it. Just shoot Hornet, and reload the cases to normal Hornet pressures, and you'll be in good shape.

Best,
Jon

Page generated in 0.02457 seconds with 8 queries