View Single Post
Old November 28, 2006, 07:07 AM   #48
Picher

I agree with Art about being able to hit offhand and shooting at running game with confidence. I'm in my early sixties and have shot turkey shoots of various configurations and won at least my share of turkey and running deer shoots offhand, with a bolt-action rifle. I've also won an offhand competition called the "Best Damned Shot in Maine", which combined shots at standing and running deer from 100 to 200 yards.

In my early shooting career, I wore out three BB guns and more than a couple .22 inexpensive rifles. I shot woodchucks and crows with a .30-06 as practice for deer hunting, shooting everything inside 150 yards offhand. It worked!

I also learned to glassbed rifles and have done many for myself, for friends, even commercially over the years. I also learned to tune rifles and was on the cutting edge of Ruger 10-22 "do-it-yourself" accurizing, writing instructions that are still posted on the web.

Yes, I'm a Rifleman, but just consider myself a Shooter instead of a "shooter", since I really like shotgun and handgun shooting a lot too. I handload rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo, including cast bullets. I also shoot rimfire benchrest and have been a police firearms instructor.

My big thing is that shooting must be fun! I'm not into "black guns", full-auto, etc., but don't feel negatively towards those who do, unless we're sharing a firing line and their bullets spray my targets, or worse. BTW, IMHO, they're not Riflemen.

Picher

Page generated in 0.03312 seconds with 8 queries