View Single Post
Old December 30, 2012, 04:01 PM   #1
pegwedge

Carcano Questions

Howdy folks. I'm not quite up to snuff on my C&R rifles so I figured I might find some help here. My grandfather left an 8mm carbine to my brother after he died. The story that I always heard was that one of my grandfather's friends had brought it back from the war. It was said his buddy shot a sniper out of the tree and caught this rifle as it fell. I have a feeling there's a bit of exaggeration behind the story. By a bit, I mean a lot. I had never really bothered to mess with it until the bolt came apart when my father was shooting it a couple weeks ago. I started doing some research and found out quite a bit.

It has been severely sporterized unfortunately. The forearm has been cut down and someone added a pistol grip to the stock. I couldn't find any cartouches anywhere on the stock. It's a Carcano marked Beretta Gardone on the top of the barrel lug with a crown and R.E. right below it. It has 1936 - XIV on the right hand side and a D prefix serial number on the left. It has another serial number on the left had side of the receiver that has an H prefix. It is marked 7.9 on the barrel right before the barrel lug. It has a "flat eagle" stamped on the very right hand side of the receiver with a C. And last but not least it, it has the HK with a circle stamped on the very top of the receiver.

What I've found is that it's an 8mm converted Carcano by Heinrich Krieghoff. It does not have the usual block of wood in the stock to make it a single shot. It holds a full 5 rounds with the special hard-to-find en-bloc clips of which we have only two. I've also found that a lot of people recommend not shooting these because they're relatively unsafe as they only have one lug in the stock and because they were never really meant to withstand the 8mm round.

Anyone have any other insight into this rifle? I'll try to get some pictures up later today if I can if anyone has any questions. Thanks.

Page generated in 0.02152 seconds with 8 queries