View Single Post
Old June 24, 2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Satsifying, but risky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaysob
what would the consequences be of going outside with gun HOLSTERED on your side,and holding them until the police show up?
If it worked, great. Tactically, going one-on-one with an intruder who may or may not be armed and may or may not have more than one armed confederate is more risk than property (usually) is worth.

Depending on jurisdiction, it may or may not be legal for you to confront an intruder outside the dwelling if you are armed. (I know, I know, such a law is like saying we have no right to protect ourselves or our property, but such laws do exist and could get you into trouble in certain states and cities in this country.)

In any event, if I felt compelled to confront an intruder, my sidearm would only be holstered if my hands were already filled with a shotgun, flashlight and phone (wait....I just counted. I think I need a bluetooth device.)

If I felt compelled to confront a mere trespasser, yes, holstered would be appropriate.

How to tell the difference between an innocent trespasser who is merely lost from an intruder, perhaps with evil intent is difficult. Thus the default of my home defense plan is to take a defensive position, use my "outside voice" to challenge (inquire of) the person(s) and call for backup (in the order that seems most appropriate in the circumstances).

What would you do if he 1) stopped, turned and walked away 2) stopped, turned and walked away taking your lawn mower with him 3) stopped, and with open hands, raised in surrender, began walking slowly towards you 4) looked at you in a confused manner and started asking questions in Gaelic, Mandarin, Urdu or something and stepped towards you?

If you can't answer those questions without hesitation, I suggest you are not prepared to hold someone until the police arrived. (By the way, I have done this, but without hesitation, allowed the perps to walk away and would not have behaved differently had I been armed or not.)

Bottom line. Holding someone at gunpoint (or even holstered) is fraught with danger for both of you.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.03498 seconds with 8 queries