View Single Post
Old August 13, 2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Flyboy_451

Jep,
I am not arguing that physics should be ignored by invoking a magic bullet that requires no pressure. It was exactly my pont that a force must act on the base of the bullet. This is the only force present (that I can see, anyway) that produces a rearward thrust on the gun itself. My point was simply that the forward velocity of the bullet does not generate a rearward thrust or force.

As to what you are referring to as the "jet effect", I can only offer this opinion at this point. I have shown that the force pushing on the bullet is roughly 15,000 pounds in the .40. This force is produced by pressure. for that pressure to act on the base of the bullet, it must have something to push against. IT pushes against the chamber and barrel of the gun as the bullet passes down the bore. According to newtons law, this force will cause an equal reaction in all directions. But, since the bullet moves forward, and the sealed nature of a firearm prevents escape or movement to the sides, there are only forward and rearward pressure.

You have shown with mathematics that a 180grn bullet traveling at 1000fps carries 25 pounds of recoil energy, can you you explain how that energy would cause a rearward push or thrust on the gun? This is what is not explained by your model. Where does this come from? It is rather obvious that large amounts of pressure are required to drive the bullet down the bore, due to everything from the initial mass of the bullet, to friction of bore contact. Friction, I think, being the largest part of resistance. If you have ever slugged a bore, you definitely know what I mean.

You mentioned various formulas for calculating recoil in your first post and that none of them mentioned pressure. I can not answer why this may be, but I can offer a possibility. Perhaps they are simplified formulas that consider pressure a constant or they account for it in some way through the use of a constant. Perhaps, because pressure it is difficult or impossible for most of us to measure, these formulas assume a linear pressure/velocity relationship. I don't know. As you stated, there is evidence of something happening that 87% of people were able to perceive. The only sizable differences in the experiment were bore size and pressure. Because these to variables are linked and there is a mathematical way of calculating the effects of pressure over area, I can only conclude (with the information I have available) that this must be the cause of the difference felt.

Please do not take any of my comments as being argumentative. I am only trying to parse out information and gain understanding, and your comments have been thought provoking and are very welcome. Thanks for participating in the discussion.

JW

Page generated in 0.02915 seconds with 8 queries