View Single Post
Old January 24, 2001, 09:26 PM   #15
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

.357 for Deer?

tlt--

Some very good advice here--worth attending. I may not agree with ALL of it, but it is all worthwhile input.

I think .357 with long barrel and HEAVY loads is truly the minimum, and that only for the fairly experienced handgun hunter. I killed one deer with a 4" .357, but am now convinced it is not enough. I, too, counsel the use of the bigger-bore handgun cartridges. One should NOT take longer shots with the .357, as energy falls off quite rapidly. But the 'scope allows for much more precise placement than do iron sights.

One must practice intensely, set one's personal limits and stick to 'em. My limit: the distance at which I can keep five out of five shots on a ten-inch paper plate, with THAT arm, and THAT load, from a PARTICULAR position.

Sorry--I just re-read and see where Robert the41MagFan has already said much the same thing.

Sporting hunters owe the game animal the respect of not taking the shot unless we are pretty positive of making a clean kill. We should be honest enough to realize that tight groups from a bench with target loads do NOT equate with heavy loads from a kneeling position.

I know guys who have successfully used .38 Spl, .380 ACP, and 9 x 19mm on deer. These were experts, and admit it was a stunt, and have resolved not to do it again. Yes, one can kill a deer with a .22 LR handgun--but most places, this is illegal, and is certainly not a sporting proposition. Survival or subsistence hunting, feeding a hungry family, is a different matter.

Terry, back to your original question - - -
What is the best caliber / handgun for this purpose? What have been your experiences with what works best and what isn't so good? Do you use open sights or a scope?

I like .44 mag and .45 Colt. I don't use a scope. There is good advice above about scopes and different cartridges. But any time you extend a topic like this, you get personal opinions, and these vary widely. My experience is limited to about ten deer with handgun: .357, .44 mag, .45 ACP and .45 Colt. I've been fortunate: Never a lost deer with a handgun; all have been one-shot kills, but I HAVE done a little tracking.

Best regards,
Johnny
MOLON LABE

Page generated in 0.02086 seconds with 8 queries