View Single Post
Old August 13, 2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Sevens

Quote:
These are intended for my RBH convertible 45 acp cylinder. Not to max it out, just to go into a +P area so it may be appropriate for a woods walking gun over standard 45acp loads. Cheaper to load than 45 Colt too.
Specifically speaking, to you, with your experience level, I don't believe what you are doing is outrageously dangerous, given the fact that it's a modern Ruger Blackhawk.

Speaking generally, however, and duly noting that we are discussing this in an open forum that is frequently viewed by folks of all skill levels (including ZERO), this whole concept is a lousy one, IMO.

My reasons for saying this:
--You claim that the handgun is perfectly fine for this since it was designed around the .44 Magnum (at least - this was the argument before this thread was edited) but you don't take in to account two major things:
1) The .44 Magnum SAAMI max pressure is 36,000 PSI and the Rowland is higher than that and...

2) The .44 Magnum is a .43 caliber hole while your gun is using a .452 caliber hole

--You did mention clearly that you aren't going to "max it out" but you toss around terms like "+P area" and it's not obvious in the discussion just how freakishly far true SAAMI .45 ACP+P under .460 Rowland operating pressures.

.45 ACP+P has been set by SAAMI at 23,000 PSI
.460 Rowland runs 40,000 PSI.

--You claim that this route is cheaper than using .45 Colt -- but your gun is specifically designed for heavy .45 Colt and specific published load data is widely available for heavy .45 Colt in a modern Ruger Blackhawk.

This isn't the world's wort idea ever and if you are working up with proper, safe methods, it's not likely to cause any fireworks, but it still comes across to me as a poorly conceived idea, more so when discussed amongst so many that are brand new to the hobby and especially so when you've got one of the finest platforms for heavy .45 Colt in production in your hands.

Any thread in which Clark posts in always makes it seem over-conservative to point out things that should be taken with extreme caution. Clark runs tests that are so far away from accepted handloading practices that it makes my argument seem like pure folly, but I'll post it anyhow, just for the good of the forum.

Edward429451, please don't take any part of my post personally. Fact is, I experiment also at my bench, and I do it carefully with a sharp attention to detail as I fully expect that you are doing. To re-iterate, I don't believe you personally are going to end up doing anything extremely dangerous. Point being... the things that I experiment with at my bench, I don't tend to discuss on an open forum where a reckless, random google searcher might find it -- and plug it in on his bench.

Page generated in 0.03738 seconds with 8 queries