Thread: 223 reload data
View Single Post
Old June 1, 2013, 10:42 PM   #14
2ndtimer

Quote:
I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about the TAC. never.tried it though. Varget is just an all around awesome rifle powder. Been real curious about that CFE223. Any more info on that?

I've got 1 pound of the 8208xbr. Haven't.opened it yet. So many powders to try! Varget is one of my favs it's just hard to find these days
One of the nice features of TAC is that it shoots very clean and has a copper fouling inhibitor included, similar to CFE-223. In my experience, they are somewhat similar but the CFE-223 is slower burning than TAC. TAC will get higher velocities with bullets 50 gr and under, where CFE-223 seems more appropriate for bullets 55 gr and up. Both powders have very little copper fouling and the barrels clean very easily. Since I shoot a lot more 40 and 50 gr bullets, I will probably stick with TAC and Accurate 2015.
I was fortunate to score a couple of 8 lb kegs of TAC a couple of years ago for $79.99 each, and also grabbed an 8 lb keg of Varget right before the Colorado movie shooting. I also have lucked into 5 lbs of IMR-8208XBR over the past several months. It works great in my son's .338 Federal and I will eventually try it in the .223. I like Varget because of its versatility, it is useable in almost everything I load. Not optimal in all, but functional. I think the IMR-8208XBR may work out similarly. It sure perks in the .338 Federal, and I will eventually also give it a go with light bullets in the .243 Win.

Page generated in 0.03752 seconds with 8 queries