View Single Post
Old October 20, 2012, 09:00 AM   #23
TunnelRat

Quote:
Go ahead and use a .22, or a .17, if it makes you happy.
Now did I say that? We both should know there is a huge difference in mass, not just diameter, at that point as .22 is what, right around 36 gr? Heck that's close to only 1/4 of the weight of a measly 124 gr 9mm. Yet even still poor old Ronald Reagan was in a decent amount of danger after he was shot with a little old .22. To suggest that the difference between 9mm and 45 ACP is the same difference as that between 9mm and 22 cal is just ignorant.

Quote:
If a few tenths of an inch of expansion aren't important, then why is every single self-defense bullet on the market designed to expand?
To help mitigate over-penetration more than anything else. Sure it helps with the wound as well. But expanded the diameter difference between 9mm and 45 ACP shrinks even more. Take a gander at this chart:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De...icturerev3.jpg

Heck there are 9mm loadings that expand to a total diameter as much as, and in some cases more than, the expanded diameter of the insurmountable 45 ACP.

Quote:
The threshold for me is an easy-to-shoot, concealable handgun.
And there are certainly handguns in both calibers that meet that for most people, though I think it's fair to say there are probably more options for smaller 9mms than smaller 45s.

I have nothing against the 45 ACP, it's a blast to shoot and I own just as many 45s as 9mms. But the idea that a 45 is a man shooter while a 9mm is a pea shooter is just laughable.

Edit: Below is an interview with an officer surviving 7 shots with a 45 ACP and continuing the fight to take out his attacker. The first shot on the officer was to his face.

http://www.policeone.com/suspect-pur...n-jared-reston
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 20, 2012 at 09:11 AM.

Page generated in 0.04205 seconds with 8 queries