View Single Post
Old November 8, 2010, 06:45 AM   #26
flashhole

A couple more questions:
Will a good turret press make rifle ammo as precisely as a single stage press?
Will a turret press make good rifle ammo more quickly than a single stage?

I say yes on both counts but I will caveat my answer by saying you have to learn to use your equipment properly regardless of whose you buy. I have experience on two turret presses - my first one was the Redding Model 25 (6 stations on the turret), my second turret press is the Lee Classic Cast. Both are fine presses in thier own right but have different designs. Both made excellent quality ammo that was both accurate and repeatable.

Of the two I give the edge to the Lee for the simple reason I did not like the tilt-back design of the Redding. The newer T-7 Redding has on the market has gotten away from that design in favor of a perpendicular design which is a lot more to my liking. Another thing I like about the Lee that seems to be more a happenstance than a design feature is the turret has a bit of play in it and the self-aligning feature can make up for minor errors in die adjustment. The turret is also supported around its entire periphery as opposed to an opposing side brace. Not sure this is a big deal but I do see I get very consistent ammo regardless of the cartridge I load on the LCT. You should also be aware the Lee presses do not have a cam over feature like the Redding or RCBS presses. I'm on the fence with this feature because I like to adjust my dies for a full throw of the handle. The Lee has a hard mechanical stop on the linkage that prevents camming over. The Redding does not.

My single stage presses are two Redding Ultramags and one Lee Classic Cast. The ergonomics are very different and I like both but if had to only have one I would keep the Ultamag. Again, you need to learn the strengths and weaknesses of different designs.

Are you ready for civil war?

Page generated in 0.03293 seconds with 8 queries