View Single Post
Old December 8, 2006, 08:05 AM   #10
Ratsrepus

The altitude, such as it was, bothered me. It was only around 9000 feet I guess but being from Minnesota, it bothered me a little. It was also very warm when I hunted and I got dehydrated, which happens rather easily to me. Watch that! I have a Camelbak daypack now and bring plenty of water whenever I am out.

Get in shape is excellent advice. Walking and running the mountains will get your heart going alone. Add a bull at close range and you may explode. Start now and work up slowly. Walking, running etc. Take the stairs. It's a simple adjustment but it will pay off in the long run. Do 10 situps tonight. 10 more tomorrow. Then 20 after a while. Soon you'll be up to 50-80. No problem. Same with push-ups. It doesn't take long to do those each night. It'll help.

Quality footwear that is properly broken it. I went to South Dakota last week on a Mule deer hunt. We did a lot of glassing but a lot of walking too. I had my trusty hunting boots along that have been comfortable for about three years. I don't know what happened but they bothered me on the trip. I got blisters on my big toes by the end of the trip - luckily after I got my buck. I think these have finally "lost it" and are now yard work boots. Get something good that fits properly and spnd time breaking them in. Wear them around the house, at the office/work - whatever. Just because Danner Pronghorns (not the boot I was wearing in SD) fit me like a glove, it doesn't mean they'll fit you. Look around and be picky.

I don't know how a person would prep for it, but elk can make a guy loose it. In my camp there were four guys from Michigan. Experienced deer hunters on their first elk hunt. We went out two hunters with one guide. So the Mich boys were out and bugling up a herd with their guide and a very big 5X5 starts comeing to take on this "new" bull. The hunter had the bull in his scope, walking towards him at ~75 yards when the bull stopped and cut loose with a thundering bugle. As the bull bugled, he (the bull) peed all over himself and was quite the specticle of someone just looking to take names and kick @#$. This made the hunted completely loose it and come apart with the shakes. He had to stop and compose himself to get back in shooting mode again. He ended up making a decent shot and taking a nice bull. I hope he tells the story the same way because I heard it just like that when he came back to camp and it was priceless. It sounded really fun.

Take picture while you're there. Take scenery shots. Take pics of the camp and the staff. Make notes in a small notebook. You'll be glad you did. You'll think you remember everything but there will be so much cool stuff that you'll have trouble.

Page generated in 0.02006 seconds with 8 queries