View Single Post
Old July 4, 2005, 04:30 PM   #124
CarbineCaleb

From what I know, although there are occasionally bear attacks in the backcountry, the majority of bear encounters, as well as the majority of bear attacks, come along park roads, and drivein campgrounds.

Here, the bears have become used to people, and don't avoid them... in fact, because many people feed bears either inadvertently or purposely, many of these bears have come to associate people with food. Likewise, people in these areas usually are less knowledgeable about bears than backcountry travelers, and tend to do more stupid stuff. Rangers have told me that many people will feed bears, some by hand, some get out and have picture taken with bears (try to put arm around it for photo), punching bears who try to get into their cooler... just really, really stupid stuff.

I have actually seen most of my bears along wilderness roads and big campgounds. Far fewer in the backcountry, even though I spent a lot more time there.

As to bears eating people "any time they have nothing better to do"... come on - if that were the case, there'd be incredible carnage, and we would have wiped them out centuries ago, in fact.

Page generated in 0.02368 seconds with 8 queries