View Single Post
Old June 19, 2001, 05:43 PM   #10
Bogie

Well, two-tenths MOA is about the size of my smallest five-group aggregate... Add 'em together, and that ain't too impressive.

I use either the Redding Boss or my Harrell press. I'm not sure how many thousands I've loaded, but I've gone through a bunch of primers... When I'm mass-producing for .223, .45, .38, etc., I load to blocks, and stack the blocks - I may charge 500 shells at once... then they get laid out on the bench and inspected with a flashlight for powder charge being there, and the charge not being too big - Never had a double charge or a squib load yet...

Most single-stages are "more square" than progressives. If there's something that can bend, get out of line, etc., it will, and few things are simpler than a heavy O-frame or C-frame press. If everything is straight, and stays straight, it helps with concentricity. No cases that suddenly seem like banannas when you put 'em under a dial indicator...

The powder measure isn't that big a deal. My Harrell Premium ($225) feels good, and is consistent in use. My Lee Perfect feels like a piece of crap, and is consistent in use. I use the Harrell because of the adjustment device, but if I had to, I could use the Lee. Heck, I've got an RCBS with a micrometer, a bottle adapter, and a 6" clear drop tube (with inserts) that I'd like to sell - Very consistent, but I bought the Harrell...

For pistol, I'd recommend the Lee turret kit. For "normal" size bolt rifles, I'd just say to get either a Redding Boss or an RCBS Partner. Redding dies are very nice, but then again, I use Lee collet dies for my varmint loads (my 6PPC die is a Harrell, my .22PPC (0.070" short) die is a modified Redding). Some folks who neck size only (I tend to shoot hot loads) use only Wilson hand dies and an arbor press. That works, and is just as fast, if not faster, than FL sizing. If you're seating on a press, you'd better hope that everything is consistent. That's why I like my Wilson seater...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!

Page generated in 0.03063 seconds with 8 queries