View Single Post
Old October 8, 2002, 02:38 PM   #18
scarman

I'll throw my vote in for the Lee Pro1000. I know a lot of folks like to bash the Lee equipment, but my experience is that it works just fine. I bought one a couple of years ago and never really have had any problems with it. I think the first few times I used it, I had some quirky things happen with it. Most of the problems were due to my lack of knowledge in using a press. Probably would have been better for me to start on a single stage press or at least a turret as a beginner, but I got used to the progressive quick enough. Learn the process well and pay attention to what's going on and you'll figure it out too. That's probably true for everthing in reloading.

I recently thought of getting a Dillon 650 when my wallet started to get a little too fat, but really there's no need. My pro1000 is still cranking out .45s and is problem free 99.5 percent of the time. I probably still get a hickup once every blue moon and it usually takes a minute or less to fix it and keep going. Why spend all that cash on a 650, when what I have is working fine. I still weigh my powder and check the dimensions on a round now and then, and everything is still very consistant.

I've also read of peolple that have issues with their Dillons, RCBS, or Lyman so no particular brand of press is going to be error free all the time. I'm certain that the higher priced presses do work very well and can last a life time or two. Not sure how long my pro1000 will keep going, but I can buy a lot of pro1000s for the price of a Dillon 650. I have about 12K of .45 on it so far and I'm sure it will keep going for many rounds to come.

To be fair, I don't know anyone who is using a Dillon so I can't really compare the two, but I wish I could. I'd like to see what all that extra cash would get me if anything. Spending that much cash just to say I have a Dillon with a no BS warranty doesn't work for me. I know there are those who reload far more than I do and maybe if I put out 15K rounds a year, I might see the advantage in ware ability, but at 12K in 2 years my pro1000 is doing fine.

Page generated in 0.02663 seconds with 8 queries