View Single Post
Old April 24, 2010, 12:03 AM   #17
Hardcase

Here's a closeup of the right ejector out of the gun:

It does look rough and I can certainly feel the marks if I run my fingernail over the metal. This gun is serial 647, so it is a very early model. It makes sense that the old ejectors may have worn out or, as one of the first of the model, it may still be suffering from growing pains.

You can see along the edges of the extractor where the cartridge rims have worn some of the metal away. When I hold the rim of an unfired round against the ejector, imitating the path that the rim would take as it is ejected, it's pretty clear to see that the rim diameter is greater than what the ejector was cut for (if the wear on the ejector wasn't enough of a clue.)

It doesn't look to me like the front of the ejector is going in farther than it's supposed to. The outer front edge where the screw head fits is flush with the corresponding part of the receiver. It just looks like a rough-machined part, for whatever reason.

I think that I'm going to, very carefully, smooth up the rough part of the ejector and see if that does enough to keep the empties from jamming up.

And speaking of that, I'm using Starline brass. I don't know if that makes a difference. I think that the only other choice of brass is Winchester.

Page generated in 0.03291 seconds with 8 queries