View Single Post
Old July 17, 2001, 03:12 AM   #9
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Dave, are you referring to san shou, sometimes called san da or 'Chinese Fast Wrestling'? It is a Chinese kick-boxing/free wrestling art and currently taught to Chinese Law Enforcement and military personnel.

San shou, when properly taught by a competent instructor and used with purpose and heart on the street, is as effective in a street fight as any other fighting skill.

The throws, cranks and takedowns in san shou are initially taught in slow motion, to enable the students to get a good 'feel' for the movements.

Once learned, the throws, cranks and takedowns are used in full-speed, full-contact sparring where your opponent is actively trying to punch and/or kick your lights out.

The san shou classes I've seen do not emphasize ground-fighting beyond a grasp of breaking loose and getting back to your feet. They seem to take the view that grappling on the ground is a wonderful opportunity for allies of your foe to kick and stomp you to a fare-thee-well.

Which does tend to mirror real-life street, bar and trailer-park fights that I've seen.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files

Page generated in 0.02471 seconds with 8 queries