View Single Post
Old April 22, 2008, 05:07 AM   #7
phil mcwilliam

Thanks for the feedback

Yes, elkman06 it was during the rut. Although unlike most species of deer I hunt, Sambar will rut at different times of the year, but in my experience the first cold snap brings them on. The only female sambar sound I know is similar to an airhorn, and as an alarm call I think that would scare a stag away at short quarters. I've heard of hunters hitting old antlers together or even grunting, but I don't know how these tactics would have worked. Gbro, I would have moved in, but the final yards would have been impossible to move through silently. I guess I'm just frustrated at being close enough to hear a stag thrashing & snorting & then have him vanish on me. Yes Lawer Dagget, I am hunting in the Victorian National Park,(licenced) about 10 miles in a straight line from a ski resort- forgive me if I don't provide a map.
I keep telling my mate we are wasting our time hunting in such thick bush, but occassionaly we get lucky. The attachment shows a Sambar stag I took a few years ago in the same area, & gives some idea of the thick bush I'm refering to.

Last edited by phil mcwilliam; July 3, 2008 at 06:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.02064 seconds with 8 queries