View Single Post
Old July 15, 2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think that is the first good word I have seen about a Texas High Standard.
I treasure my old one.
I have an old Supermatic, with the ported bull barrel, the same model and vintage that won the Olympics in the 50's, and it is deadly accurate. Everything is original, but they bought the target walnut grip option, and I don't have the brown plastic grips, unless it was ordered that way. I still have both counterweights for it, but never use them. I use this at the range now.

I think the Hamden ones got a bad name at the end, when they dropped the button takedown, and switched to a cap screw, but I bought a Sportking M like that, in the early 80's, and installed a Millet adjustable sight, and it was a tack driver, too. I used it to coon hunt with back then, and it was as good as any rifle I ever used. Generally, no more than two shots, and the coon was out of the tallest oak in the woods. Just as long as I could see the sights, and coon, it was deadly.

I have looked at the new ones, but never really set down and shot one for fun. I didn't know if they rifled the Texas guns the same or not, as that was one of the keys to their success.

Page generated in 0.02892 seconds with 8 queries